Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Drugged Up

This is where I am tonight. At "VSA" in San Mateo city in San Mateo County. Loaded up on morphine until at least 1 or 2 AM Wednesday morning. Dreaming of nursing my Mom with my sisters in Albuquerque, barking at cats, and of San Mateo, Santa Clara plus San Francisco -- that's Saints Matthew, Clare,and Francis to you non-NorCalifornians and Anglophiles. And, of liver dinners and roast chicken and my white blanket at Sta. Rita.....
VSA has quite the promotional brochures to get the humans in the right spirit. Lots of dog pictures. A few cats. And lots of quotes like this one from San Francisco de Assisi, "Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission -- to be of service to them wherever they require it." The staff at VSA takes that to heart.
I lucked out with Dr. Andrew Staatz. He knows what he is doing besides having a very calming effect on me by just holding me. He put two pins -- just the right size -- on the broken bone, found and fixed a torn distal ligament, and got me on the serious painkillers. Says I will have a splint for about 10 weeks. Off before Thanksgiving then!! Hmmmmmm...... turkey......roasting in the oven.......hmmmmm.
I should be off the heaviest drugs by the early morning and ready to go home to sleep more. Tongue heavy and hanging out. Good night. Dreaming and floating.....