Friday, November 02, 2007

Ernie's Halloween

Ernie is only now beginning to recover from Halloween. One of his people put on a Darth Vader mask! Egads! said Ernie. Does my person have a dark soul? Nope, Ernie, it's just Halloween - just once a year! And, see, one of your people has a nice and friendly lumberjack outfit with a matching one for you. Only worry if he sings too many times and with unnerving frequency the song, "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK!"
Those dark masks. I'm afraid of them, too. One kid came to my door on Halloween head to toe in a black robe with black gauze covering the face. Alice said it was a Harry Potter dementor oufit. I don't know about that. All I know is my heart raced and raced while that kid reached out for candy. Alice had a hard time not laughing - while I was getting more frightened - since the kid had trouble seeing the doorbell and her candy offering out of his black gauze mask.
I really preferred the local teenage girl clique who came by in their gypsy/pirate outfits with one of them a flower-child. (Green dress with glued on big fabric flowers.) And Alice kept thinking of telling the kids I am really a cat in a great dog costume. Hardy, har, har.
So Ernie, Halloween is something a bit frightening, but it is really fun once you know there are no dangerous kids who come to the door trick or treating. You get to bark hello to everyone. And, get to see the local kids dressed up in wild costumes.