Thursday, July 31, 2008

More trips....

I really don't know why Alice leaves me, her special treasure, so often this Summer. Why is that? She says it's to a very hot place where I would burn my paws. Sounds like no fun. Better to stay here.
Meanwhile, everyone in the family here, house guests too, have been reading Cecilia Chiang's "The Seventh Daughter". Alice remembers meeting Mrs. Chiang back in the 1960's and 1970's at the Mandarin Restaurant. Alice says it was something special. Like going to a private elegant home. Perfect food. Nothing compares. Now, she says, she knows why having read that book.
All I know is everytime Alice read about Peking Duck in that book I salivated and I noticed Alice cried while reading about what happened to Mrs. Chiang's family in Beijing in the Cultural Revolution. Alice always knew Mrs. Chiang was a tough lady, but until reading the book, she had no idea how tough she really was and is. A real treasure, Mrs. Chiang is.